Delta Ponds: Lane Audubon commits to partnership
by Maeve Sowles
On September 30, 2003 Lane County Audubon Society signed the Declaration of Cooperation as a Project Partner for the Delta Ponds Restoration and Recreation Project. *
The project encompasses more than 150 acres and will become an urban wildlife area of regional and state significance. We are proud to be contributors.
Lane Audubon will play a key role in nature education and habitat restoration at the site:
- We will provide volunteers for park projects to enhance bird habitat and improve native vegetation.
- We will be involved with the deveopment of interpretive signs, including an audio guide for those with sight loss.
- We will develop bird and dragonfly checklists for the area.
- We will lead field trips to Delta Ponds, with a special program for Friends of Delta Ponds and for residents of the adjacent apartment complex.
- In conjunction with the Eugene Stream Team, we will train volunteer trail guides.
Our committment to the Delta Ponds project will be long term, and we hope to help in whatever way we can.
Many thanks to Steve Gordon for spearheading our participation and to Dan Gleason for training volunteer field guides.
* Cooperating groups include:
The Corps of Engineers, City of Eugene, Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department, Lane Council of Governments, Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board, Lane County, Oregon Community Solutions Team, Northwest Youth Corps, Lane Metro Youth, Eugene Country Club, The Pape Group, McKenzie River Broadcasting, Eugene Lions Club, Eugene Rotary Clubs (6), Cal Young Neighbors Association, Northwest Steelheaders, Lane Independent Living Alliance, River Terrace Apartments, The Valley River Inn and Lynda Christensen.